Church of S. Biagio
The church would be built on the site of a necropolis of ancient Amèstratos, from which come finds preserved at the Civic Museum, as a Greek funerary epigraph that reads: “rest oh Ninfo”.
Some architectural elements, such as the architraved portal with sandstone ornaments, attest a sixteenth-century foundation, although the building techniques and shape of the apse suggest a later reconstruction.
In 1734, the church, which needed structural works, had a sacristy and three altars: one located in the chancel and two on the sides. They currently host, respectively, the gilded and polychrome wooden statues of S. Biagio (unknown Sicilian carver and painter, 1598), with the base painted with Mannerist motifs and scenes from the life of the Saint; S. Rocco (unknown Sicilian carver, second half of the XVI century), probably from the eponymous church attached to the Benedictine monastery of S. Maria del Soccorso after its dissolution and demolition; and S. Caterina d’Alessandria (attributed to Scipione Li Volsi), possibly from the Mother Church and formerly part of the precious case made by the artist in 1621. All these works have recently been restored.
After a long neglect, the church was restored in 1913 thanks to a bequest of the deceased prelate Sebastiano Cannata. A characteristic niche, bordered by cotto bricks, on the main façade housed the bell.